Saturday, October 10, 2015

Blog-worthy dinner - 10/10/15

I was only kidding earlier. Because of the heavy downpour we decided to eat right across the street from our hotel, Asturo Palace. The place looks like a snack bar from outside. I expected to be ripped off and disappointed.

You know how when you're eating out with someone you get "dish envy" when your dining partner's dish is better than yours? I haven't had that once this trip. Even when Lou is eating something I'd eat. Tonight was no exception. My dish was head and shoulders above his. I was neither disappointed, nor did I feel ripped off. The waiter up sold me, so I had no idea what my main dish cost. But it wasn't bad at all. I think my dinner was a better value than Lou's, too.

But that's not what made dinner blog worthy. We walked into the restaurant and were seated in the back, in a nice dining room which in better weather would be overlooking the Mediterranean. We were seated along the edge of a huge family party. Large. Like 100 people or more. Possibly a baby christening. With live entertainment (singers) plus being entertained by the universal dysfunctions of large family gatherings. I saw the love between a Nonno and his grandchildren. Reminded me of my kids with my dad. And I saw cousins greeting cousins they hadn't seen in a bit. Made me wonder how many of my cousins are gathered together to celebrate our little cousin Eli's Bar Mitzvah in Philadelphia today.

Buona notte.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment