Sunday, October 11, 2015

Family day - Sunday, 10/11/15

After a good night's sleep last night (hooray!), we woke up bright blue skies. We stayed at this hotel five years ago and I had memories of the best bread of that entire trip. The bread this morning, while different, was delicious. Yum!

I'd read on Trip Advisor that the number one attraction in Nettuno (presumably calculated based on reviews of Americans was the Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial. Off we went. What an awe-inspiring memorial to our troops who were involved in the liberation of Sicily and Rome during WWII. A place of peace and calm. So many lives lost. So many boys lost. After spending the week in Val d'Orcia, I added the book War in Val d'Orcia: An Italian War Diary, 1943-1944 to my reading list. Now I'd like to find a book about the liberation of Sicily and Rome! If you have a suggestion, let me know.

Remembering the missing

From the cemetery, we drove to the home of Lou's first cousin Angela and her family. We've spent time with Angela, her daughter Cathy and Cathy's husband Claudio both here in Italy, in New York and in Canada. Cathy and Claudio's sons and nephews whom I'd met briefly before were there. I met Cathy's brother, Rosario, and Claudio's father for the first time. We had a delicious Sunday dinner prepared by Angela and Cathy. At times like this I wish I could speak Italian or understand more than the little I understand. Cathy and Claudio are fluent in English. And once I had Angela alone, she and I chatted about her fantastic garden in her faltering English and my even more broken Italian.

I like the silly photos better

Lou wanted to get back to our hotel in Nettuno before dark so soon it was time to leave. We arrived back in Nettuno shortly before sunset. The same town that seemed broken and tired last night in the rain was alive and thriving. I guess the rain was what made it appear as it did last night.

All the free hotel parking spots were full so we parked in a pay parking spot. Lou said he put €4 into the muni-meter. What's really interesting is that it gave us the 2 hours we needed tonight and the two hours we'll need in the morning. We're good to park until 11am. Nifty.

We dropped some things off in the hotel room and then went back down for our passeggiata along with hundreds of others who were doing the same thing. What a fine social custom.

Returning to our room, we repacked for our trip to Capri. I gathered together my few items that I'll need for our two nights. Lou said, "Is that all you're bringing?" which prompted me to pull out my Capri pants to possibly wear in Capri.

Long day of travel ahead so it's time to say buona notte.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment